Tuesday, December 04, 2012

01 DEC 2012 Jesus it's a bit dusty in here

So obviously the Pub Scrawl thing has taken over my blogging life, but I have the ever-returning intentions to do some stuff here on the blog. I'm getting involved in an upcoming project that is going to require me to do a ton of writing, so maybe that muscle will be exercised more and keep me doing stuff here? Let's not hold our breath, though, people.

Speaking of exercising muscles, I have given myself a new task that we'll see how long can last. Do a narrative sketch for an hour every day, even if I don't feel like doing one. Cos I only obey rules if they start on round-figure dates or times, I started this on the first of December, hence the blog post title. I may stray from them being "narrative" as well, but so far, so good. I'll post them here as they happen. I'm also posting from work today, so I may have to cut this short, but I've got some thoughts.

Myself and Y were playing Lego: The Lord of the Rings by Telltale Games - those games are real fun two player experiences and have gotten very sophisticated over the years. There's a problem with that too, but I won't get into it. Anyway, when Treebeard shows up, all I could think of was the concept of a walking treeman is pretty scary. I've chilled on Tolkien over the years, so I guess I think more "Black Young of Shub-Niggurath" than "Guardians of Fangorn Forest".

So here's a treeman (Treeman? Tree Man? Tree Monster?)


1 hour, start to finish-whether-it's-finished-or-not on Moleskine Sketchbook, all with my Rotring 0.5mm Mechanical with Blue Lead, Pentel Pocketbrush and my super sexy Lamy Carbon Fine POint, which I have filled with Mont Blanc ink. The black ink, dunno what they call it, "Midnight" or "Coal Face" or something. I don't like that ink a hell of a lot. It's a little greasy-feeling, but I love the inkwell bottle and I can't bring myself to just pour it out and fill it with something else. I may have used a PITT Brush Tip Black to do some fill in... yeah, probably.

There's a lot of points that bother me about this, but I'll get back to them when I'm at home again. I know it's a sketch, but the problems are endemic to the way I do things without thinking about them... more on that later.

Cheers.

No comments: